Getting in-and-around Buffalo is quite accessible and easy. You can get into the city via Buffalo Niagara International Airport (BUF), Amtrak train or buses. As long as getting around the town is concerned, its best done by car. Driving is the most convenient means to explore Buffalo and its top attractions nearby. Even if don't have one, there are several companies offering car rentals. You can also opt to use public transportation, such as bus and train services. Taxi services are also available but you ought to call one ahead as hailing one on the street isn't easy.
Travel to Buffalo by Air
The City of Buffalo and its surrounding regions are served by Buffalo Niagara International Airport
. BUF is located in the east side of Downtown Buffalo and is the busiest public airport in Upstate New York. The airport is owned and operated by Niagara Frontier Transportation Authority and serves New York, Buffalo and Southern Ontario, Canada. Jet Blue Airways provides affordable round-trips from New York
: 4200 Genesee Street Buffalo, NY 14225Phone
: (716) 630-6000 and (877) 359-2642Website
To and From the Airport
To get anywhere in the city or outskirts, there are many onsite car rentals, buses, shuttle, taxis and vans available. A taxi ride from Buffalo Airport to Buffalo City Hall will approximately cost $40.
Metro Bus service
is one of the quickest, easy and inexpensive means to get to and from the Buffalo Niagara International Airport. Its routes connect to downtown Buffalo and Niagara Falls and other connections to many areas throughout the region.Shuttle:
The shuttle, Airport-Downtown Express - Metro Route 204 offers non-stop service between the BUF airport and city's central business district. One-way fare costs around $2.50. Service frequency is roughly every 30 minutes on weekdays during peak hours. Rental operations located on airport property
(716) 633-8294, (800) 551-9369 www.buffaloairporttaxi.com
(716) 631-2044, (800) 327-9633 www.alamo.comAvis
(716) 632-1809, (800) 831-2847 www.avis.comBudget
716) 632-4662, (800) 283-4387 www.budgetbuffalo.com
(716) 565-0002 | (800) 736-8222 www.enterprise.comHertz
(716) 632-4783, (800) 654-3131 www.hertz.comNational
(716) 634-9220, (800) 227-7368 www.nationalcar.com
(716) 632-8400 www.thrifty.com
Travel to Buffalo by Train
Amtrak offers three train services that connects Buffalo to other places. Fare to major cities like NYC will cost around $88 (8 hours) and to Albany is around $48 (6 hours). Check out the routes they serve.Lake Shore Limited:
NY State - Boston - Albany - ChicagoEmpire Service:
NY - Albany - Rochester - Syracuse - Buffalo - Niagara FallsMaple Leaf:
Toronto - Niagara Falls - NYThere are two Amtral stations in Buffalo-Address
: 75 Exchange St, Buffalo, NY 14203, United StatesPhone
: 1 800-872-7245
: 55 Dick Rd, Depew, NY 14043
Travel to Buffalo by Bus
There are many buses that arrive and depart from the Greyhound terminal in Buffalo city called Buffalo Transportation Center. Niagara Frontier Transportation Authority, NFTA
operates local bus
40 and express bus 60 that will take you to the transit center, located on the American side of
Niagara Falls. Fare will cost around $2 and takes approximately one hour. Address
: 181 Ellicott
Getting Around Buffalo
Buffalo's public transit consists of local buses, light rails, taxis and shuttles. The Niagara Frontier Transportation Authority operates the Buffalo Metro Rail and several passenger buses. NFTA-Metro Bus and Rail
716-855-7300 www.metro.nfta.com Car:
As mentioned before, the best way to explore Buffalo and around is by car as driving in the town is efficient and easy. Moreover you can reach the nearby Niagara Falls and its surroundings quite easily if you have a care. With many car rentals available across town and in the airport, you can conveniently rent one. Metro:
NFTA operates the Buffalo Metro Rail. It is over 6 miles long single line light rail system. The rail system stretches from downtown's Erie Canal Harbor to the northeastern part - University Heights district. Ticket is available in all metro stations and the same can be used for bus rides. You can buy a basic ticket that costs $2, or a day pass for $5 and a 7 day pass for $25. The metro remain operational seven days a week, with limited hours on weekends. For schedules, routes and more details, Click Here.Bus:
Passenger bus services are also provided by NFTA. For newcomers, bus routes throughout Buffalo may be quite confusing as it's little tangled up with some buses providing "on-demand" stops, where anyone can get down exactly where needed, while others have set stops only. Moreover, some services run only weekdays (Mon- Fri), while other offers services seven days a week. There are various bus fares to opt - a regular fare costs $2; a day pass for $5 and a 7-day pass for $25. Regular tickets are available in the bus itself, but do remember to carry exact change, while passes are available in metro stations. The seasonal Open-Air Autobus is also a big hit among visitors to explore the city's highlights. To view the various maps and schedules, you can refer to NFTA's website
.For more information on Open-Air Autobus, Click Here
If you're planning to travel by taxi, make sure you call your cabs ahead. In Buffalo, it is not at all easy to hail a cab in the streets.
Shuttle, Van, and Taxi Services in BuffaloAA Taxi Transportation Inc
(905)321-3206 | (905)735-8294www.taxiniagara.comAAA Taxi Tour & Shuttle
(716) 550-0550 | 905-581-3993
www.aaataxitour.comAbove the Falls Transportation
(716) 957-4192 | (877) 957-4111 www.a-touch-of-class-niagara.comAct One Transportation
(716) 472-8580 | (800) 604-1570 www.buffaloairportexpress.com
(716) 633-8294 | (800) 551-9369 www.buffaloairporttaxi.comAloft Buffalo Airport
(716) 626-1800www.aloftbuffaloairport.comBuffalo Airport Shuttle
(716) 685-25500www.buffaloairportshuttle.comEZ Ride Buffalo
Planning to book Bus & Tour service for your family to explore Buffalo, Niagara and all other top highlights? Check below and book your trip.
Best hotels to stay in Buffalo!
Some notable Bus & Tour operators in BuffaloAYR Coach Lines
(519) 747 1230 www.ayrcoach.comBedore Tours
(716) 696-3200www.bedoretours.comCoach Canada
(705) 748-6411 | (800) 461-7661 www.coachcanada.comCovered Wagon Tours
(716) 433-6777 | (800) 847-4887www.grsbuses.comGray Line Niagara Falls
(716) 285-2113 | (877) 285-2113 www.GrayLineNiagaraFalls.comGreyhound
(716) 855-7533 www.greyhound.comMegabus
(877) 462-6342www.Megabus.comMon Da Bus Tours Inc.
(917) 559 5477www.Mondabus.com
Niagara Scenic Tours
Starr Transit Company
Getting to Niagara Falls
- NFTA operates bus 40 and express bus 60 from downtown Buffalo to Niagara Falls. Niagara Falls' stop is at First and Rainbow Boulevard. The fare is $2 with one hour travel time.
- You can opt to travel to the Falls by taxis that will cost around $75.
- Amtrak trains have daily services from Niagara Falls to Buffalo (35 minutes), NYC (nine hours) and Toronto (three hours).
- You can cross the Rainbow Bridge. The round trip to Canada and back will costs around US$3.25/1 per car/pedestrian. Carry your passport or an enhanced driver’s license.
Getting In-and-Around Map Guide